Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ay, Nigerian Stand Up Comedian











Live and stage shows are gradually making their ways back to the National Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos. With the AY monthly show now on, theatre enthusiasts have found reason to hang out at the Theatre most weekends.

What took place at the National Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos last weekend was exceptional. The AY show has come to stay. A monthly comedy show, designed purposely to restore and bring back live activities at the National Theatre, last Sunday’s event was show of all shows. It attracted the largest crowd the Theatre has ever experienced in recent times. As the evening wore on, the crowd kept converging at the Theatre’s cinema hall two where the show was held. Amazingly, the crowd showed their surprise at the new changes at the Theatre, which of course was part of the reason why the Ahmed Yerima-led management team planned for the AY show in the first place.

Ayo Makun popularly AY is a stand-up comedian who has put so much into the act to help nurture new artistes. Part of the reason he has chosen this monthly show is to discover new comedians, put them on their feet and watch them grow. This is what he has been doing for sometime now. And some of the new discoveries which include Seyi Law, Benji D’Joke and others have been proving their mettle so far. The beauty of the show is that it affords young boys and girls and especially theatre lovers the opportunity to have somewhere to go on Sundays for the purpose of relaxation.

In an interview, Benji D’Joke who emerged the best comedian in one of the shows said: "Yes I am the winner of AY open mike show for the month. Comedy is something that is growing seriously in the entertainment industry in Nigeria. And I must tell you that it is not easy; it is a big challenge. It is not that I have that kind of comedy skill. But more often people would laugh when I crack yokes or when I say something in a funny way to them. That was the kind of way I was going with comedy. But one day a friend of mine came and gave a joke which he said came from Julius Agwu. And I said oh, I have heard this joke before and if that is the case I too can crack good jokes. I then gave my own joke and everyone of them laughed".

"But then there was a church I joined; they call it the Realm of Glory. They give room for people to perform, especially the youths in the church. They say whatever you know you can do prepare yourself for it. Now I prepared myself and I did two or three acts which impressed the congregation. At the end of it, people were laughing; everywhere was electrifying and I said to myself am I really the one doing all these? And so that was how it began for me. Then Toun Tade of MITV began to encourage me. She said, "oh Benji you are good. And honestly you can go places!" She even gave me a job at that early stage and I also did well".

"Thereafter, I heard about the AY open mic show and I told myself I have to be part of it. The first time I showed up I crashed out in the first round. Second time I was first runner up, but this third time I came up, I knew I had something different to offer. With prayer and more efforts, God gave me the glory this time around."

An Ordinary National Diploma holder in Mass Communication, Benji has come to stay as one of the newest joke crackers in Nigeria. His talents show a young man ever ready and eager to roll on and move the world. Not only that the AY show helps to propel new artistes on, it also shows that the Theatre is still a place to go to see and enjoy live and stage theatre. Before this idea was put in place by Dr. Ahmed Yerima, he had already renovated the cinema halls and put the seats back to life. But the way the show is going, it seems time has come when the five thousand seater main bowl has to be rehabilitated in order to seat more people. This is a task Yerima must accomplish so as to make the Theatre a total and complete beacon of entertainment for lovers of stage and live theatre shows.

Besides that, more established artistes have to be encouraged to help the up-coming ones to find their levels. If AY could have the likes of AIT, National Theatre, STV, MBI, Soundcity and so on as sponsors, then there is more to be done to lift theatre in Nigeria. The arrangement the Theatre management made by providing the venue and making it conducive for use, is also worthy of commendation. This is so because the youths actually need an avenue to unwind and show that life is not all about bottling up and looking for trouble.

The Couple: Fast-rising comedian AY (Ayo Makun) and fiance/mother of his daughter, Mabel

Their Story: Ayo and Mabel have been a couple for several years and are blessed with a beautiful daughter named Michelle. The ever-jovial Ayo recently commented that ‘I love my wife and her legs trip me a whole lot. One of the reasons I married her was because of her fine legs’.

The Ceremony: On the 29th of November 2008, the Household of God Church was swathed in Turquoise Blue & Gold as Ayo and Mabel came together to solemnize their union. AY is often referred to as Household of God Pastor, Chris Okotie’s ’son’, therefore it was not a surprise that Chris conducted the entire ceremony including the rendition of several praise songs. AY’s Best Man was fellow comedian Bovi Ugboma and various other entertainment industry friends including Ali Baba, Richard Mofe-Damijo, Faze, Gbenga Adeyinka, Stella Damasus and many other graced the occasion.

Such a cute couple! Mabel is absolutely stunning as well. As Proverbs 18:22 says “He who finds a wife finds a good thing And obtains favor from the Lord”. Only a week after his wedding, AY won the Diamond Award for ‘Best Comedian of the Year’, the award package includes a whopping 1 million naira prize and a brand new car.

No comments: